Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Goodbye Stone House, Hello American Food

Our final morning at the Stone House brought us a surprise...American breakfast.  I had toast, eggs (eaten with chopsticks), a banana and...drumroll please, FROSTED FLAKES. Yummy!  We dragged our luggage downstairs and met the new group that would be taking us to Daechon and bid farewell to our host and interpreter.  We made a quick stop at a market.  And I saw  sea slugs...and these fish just hanging out




And we made our way to lunch.  I walked into the restuarant and thought it smelled an awful lot like a steak house.  Well, it turns out that our new hosts also took pity on us and brought us to a Western restaurant.  Can I get a whoop, whoop up in this camp!?


We made our way to the second floor and this dining room awaits us:


The view from the dining room


I ordered me some (yes, me some) hamberger cheese steak (that's how it was spelled) and this is what I got.



It was so good.

At this point, I started playing around with my camera and lenses and came up with these shots.  I love this camera.










From there we headed over to Daechon. Daechon is a cross between a beach town and Las Vegas, bright lights illuminate the night sky and you are very close to the water.   Daechon is in the Boryeong District and they are famous for their mud and their annual mud festival.

We stayed at the Hanwha Resort Daechon.  Imma need the haters to leave the building cuz our hotel is BOMB.  Proof here: http://www.hanwharesort.co.kr/irsweb/resort2/eng/index.asp






We had a free day to spend at our leisure and a team member and I were chomping at the bit to go to the spa.  *bliss* All the services are so cheap and we end up getting the "Shining Star Package" which a 60 minute treatment that includes the Detox Mud Pack and the Aroma Back and Shoulder Massage.




So we walk into the spa and place our shoes in an electronic locker and head over to another locker to store our clothes.  We are given underwear and a robe and told to shower before our treatment begins. 
Okay. Simple enough, right?  Wrong.  Our spa person comes out and looks at us inquisitively as we are putting on our robes to head to the shower.  She says, "Shower." And I say, "Yes" but she doesn't understand me.  My team members comes back and says, "They're all naked in there."

Ohhh...so the robes are for after?!  And thus begins the mental preparation to brace ourselves to just strut around in various states of undress.  We run into the shower giggling (and realizing it's too late to turn back now) and people are looking at us, I presume, cuz we're the only ones giggling like proverbial five year olds because the ACTUAL five year olds in the sauna weren't giggling.

After our shower we are allowed to put our robes on to head to the treatment area.  We disrobe and spend 10 minutes in a jet tub filled with jasmine scented water. OH.MY. GOD. Everything should smell good all the time. We are then put in a shower and PAINTED from neck to toe in mud.  Literally, painted.  The lady had a paintbrush, a bowl of mud and a mission.

We were then wrapped and placed in a vibrating pod for 20 minutes.  Our faces were painted with mud. once we got into the pod.

Side note If I could live in that pod, I would.  Time seemed to stop, my mind seemed to clear.  If I could find a way to type with the movement of my eyeballs, I'd move into that thing and work from home. 

When time was up, we went back to the shower and had to rinse everything off (which was quite the ordeal) and went to the massage room for our back and neck massages.  The tables in the massage room were both heated and scented! Our therapist went to TOWN on our backs.  At one point I wondered if she had hands that somehow turned into wheels because I didn't understand how she was making my back feel that way.  It was a very deep massage that focused on pressure points.  At one point, it felt like she was french braiding the muscles in my back.  It was real serious, son.  Then she karate chopped by back and it was time to go.

That treatment was PHENOMENAL.  I looked in the mirror and my face looked 20 years younger and my skin is so smooth and soft and pore free.  And it was so cheap. Aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Okay so, big deal,you say.  Who cares about  a stupid spa in a hotel, you sneer.  Well, I got you, boo boo.  Do you like to golf?  Cuz they have virtual rooms where you can play nine or eighteen holes on different courses.


 Complete with a REAL set of clubs. 




Oh, and they bring you drinks.  Oh, and it's only ten dollars.

That not your cup of tea either? Well, how about some bowling?



And you don't have to wear whack ass AMF kicks...THESE are your bowling shoes. 



Each game is less than four dollars American (Did I just type "four dollars American?! How long have I been here?!!?) and shoes rental is less than one dollar American.

Oh, they've also got a mini-supermarket (is that an oxymoron?) and a noraebang (private karaoke rooms).
So yeah, be jealous.





A group of us used our free time to walk around the hotel and town. 




We ended up at a coffee shop/bar. 
 It seems that bars all across the globe have walls for repeat customers. ;)


 My capuccino

 Our seating area

I had waffles with ice cream!!! HOLLA! Every waffle should have ice cream.  It should be a law. 


Fun fact, the waiter in the restaurant changed the music to American pop because we were sitting there. 
We walked back along the beach and saw people setting off fireworks.  Then we turned in for the night after another long day.

Oh yeah, this is where we slept:


 You just hold your key card up to the door and it unlocks.  




Okay, I'm done. :)

1 comment:

  1. They've got Korean karaoke places up in NoVA. We'll have to go the next time you're up here.

    ReplyDelete