Saturday, April 14, 2012

Welcome to Boryeong


(Editor's Note: I've not had wifi for three days (quelle horror) and now it's time to catch up!)

April 9th:

Our first full day in Boryeong begins with a tour of Hyundae Fisheries. They are a seaweed packaging plant that makes and sells different kinds of seaweed (also known as gim/kim). Once it is picked, it can be stored (at 20 degrees Celsius) for up to three years!
We learned that the quality of seaweed is determined by how much sunlight it receives. The more sunlight, the better. We then took a tour of the production line. They can package 80 boxes in an hour.





And this is what kim/gim looks like



And this is me looking crazy eating it


We met the owners


This is the safety sign in the factory


Following our tour, we went to City Hall to meet with the Mayor. 

Literally everywhere we go, they have banners made for us. 
I expect a banner upon my arrival in the States.


Welcome to City Hall, folks


This map was in the Mayor's office



And here's the Mayor


He was very kind and welcomed us to the city. He told us he appreciates the Rotary organization and that his city has various partnerships with other countries including Japan and the United States. He presented each of us with Boryeong pins and said we were honorary members of the city.

Photo op!


The mayor treated us to lunch.
 


Me and the Mayor



We then went to Baekje Cultural Land which is an indoor/outdoor art museum and botanical garden/aquarium. I wish Ashley had been there, she would have loved it.

Even the bathrooms are pretty!










We started with a tour of an exhibit hosted by the artist, Ma Jin Sik. This entire exhibit only took him six months to create.


Here he is!


This entire exhibit only took him six months to create.








































We ended the day with a welcoming party with the Boryeong club.

 

And then headed to our host mom's house to the day.

1 comment:

  1. And I now know the first place I want to go if I ever go to Korea!!

    ReplyDelete